Birthday Cake pop Recipe
For the weeks going up to Valentine's day I was doing lots of trial runs of different ymmy treats for this special day. And through many different recipes we settled on the Birthday cake pop, well it's more like my princess requested that we make a pink cake pop like the "coffee shop" so I went looking and trying out lots of recipes and I've found a really good one. And before I share my yummy recipe, don't try to be a goof like me and make even the vanilla cake batter from scratch (what was I thinking). So I did make my own frosting (to mix in with the cake), but trust me when I say you should seriously get the pre-made cakes (like an angel food cake one) or the store brand cake mix, well because I was in the kitchen for I want to say for at least 2 hours. Not only that this little munchkin was all gung ho and saying "Oh yeah mama I will totally help" welp she didn't, I was deserted 15 minutes LOL.
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Yields: 25 cake pops
- Store bought cake mix (or go the super easy way and get the pre-made cakes at your local supermarket)
- Pre made frosting
- 2 small bags pink chocolate chips (like the ones from michael's in the baking aisle)
- 3 tbsp of vegetable shortening
- about 40 cake pop sticks
- If your using pre made cake
1. If your starting with the pre made cake, start crumbling the cake in a large bowl. Once the cake is all crumbled add about 3 tbsp of frosting or until the consistency is close to play dough. Form the cake mix into about a toonie size ball or to your liking.
2. Place balls into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
As the balls are cooling down.
3. As balls of cake are cooling down. Starting melting about a 1/3 cup of pink chocolate in the microwave on defrost setting and taking the chocolate out and mixing it up in 1 minutes intervals. As the chocolate melts down keep adding more chocolate chips until the cup if somewhat full. Once the chocolate is all melted add about 1 tbsp of vegetable shortening. And mix it all up.
4. Take the balls of cake out of the freezer and start putting the cake pop sticks into the chocolate mixture about an inch of the tip of the stick to be covered in chocolate and stick it into the cake pop. Once all the balls of cake have cake pop sticks stuck into them. Let it cool again for another 10 minutes.
4. Once cooled, take the cake pops back out and start dipping each pop into the chocolate, making sure that the chocolate completely covers the whole cake ball. Once all the cake pops are covered in chocolate. Let cool for another 12 minutes.
5. Repeat step 4 again and cover the cake pops in chocolate or until your desired colour on the cake pop is to your liking.
- If your using cake mix, follow the instructions of how to mix and bake the cake and repeat the steps from #2 onwards.