Coconut loaf cake
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 40-45 (depends on your oven) Yields: 12 slices
For the cake:
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups of Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups of Buttermilk
- 2 tsp of Coconut Extract
**Side note: If you want a "vegan" version of the cake, omit the buttermilk for coconut milk and I have a chart below of things you can use instead of the 4 eggs, such as bananas, etc
For the Glaze:
- 4 Tbsp of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup of Icing Sugar
- 1/4 cup of Milk
- 1 tsp of Coconut Extract
**Side note: If you want to a "vegan" version of the glaze, omit the cream cheese, add 4 tbsp of coconut milk
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 medium sized loaf pans, cut 2 stripes of parchment paper and place the sheets into the pan (Trust me this will save you lots of cleaning and unnecessary sticking) and set aside. 2) In a bowl, mix together the flour, coconut, baking powder and salt, set aside. 3) In a large bowl, using a handheld electric whisk, cream together the butter and sugar for about a minute, add the eggs, whisk all together for another minute. 4) Pour in the buttermilk and coconut extract, whisk to combine. 5) Add the dry ingredients, mix until thoroughly incorporated then pour batter into your prepared pan, smooth the top and pop it in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes or until fully cooked through. Let the cake sit for about 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. 6) To make the glaze, in a bow, using a handheld electric whisk, cream together the cream cheese and sugar, add the coconut extract and the milk a little at a time and whisk until you achieve your desired consistency. 7) Drizzle the glaze over the cake and if you like, sprinkle on some more shredded coconut.
This is how the cake loaf will turn out super moist and bouncy and soooo yummy.
And here's the chart I mentioned of ingredients you can use in replacement of eggs for the vegan versions.
Thank you for reading along. If you make this cake I'd love to hear how it turned out.